월요만나

월요만나
[월요만나]7월 26일자_'영적 순응'의 입장 취하기

본문

‘영적 순응’의 입장 취하기

TAKING A STANCE FOR ‘SPIRITUAL CONFORMITY’

By Jim Langley

요즘 들어 우리의 문화는 끊임없이 변화하는 듯하다. 개인적으로 나는 더 이상 내 주변에서 일어나는 수많은 문화적 변화에 순응할 수 없다고 결론을 내렸다. 한때 나는 그러한 사회적 변화를 불가피한 것으로 받아들였던 때도 있었다. 하지만 예수 그리스도를 따르는 제자로서 더이상은 이러한 수많은 변화를 수용할 수 없음을 알게 되었고, 지금은 소위 말해 ‘영적 순응’의 입장을 취하고 있다. 우리는 주님으로부터 세상의 법에 순응하는 것이 아닌 하나님의 법을 따르도록 부름 받았다. 

Our culture seems to be constantly changing these days. Personally, I have come to the conclusion that I can no longer keep up with, much less conform, to the many cultural shifts that are happening all around us. There was a time when I accepted those social changes as inevitable. However, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I now understand I cannot condone many of these changes and now am taking a stance for what I call “spiritual conformity.” We are called by our Lord to follow His ways, not to conform to the ways of this world.

로마서 12장 1-2절 말씀은 모든 믿는 자들에게 다음과 같이 권고한다.

“그러므로 형제들아 내가 하나님의 모든 자비하심으로 너희를 권하노니 너희 몸을 하나님이 기뻐하시는 거룩한 산 제물로 드리라 이는 너희가 드릴 영적 예배니라 너희는 이 세대를 본받지 말고 오직 마음을 새롭게 함으로 변화를 받아 하나님의 선하시고 기뻐하시고 온전하신 뜻이 무엇인지 분별하도록 하라”(로마서 12:1-2)

Romans 12:1-2 admonishes all believers, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

젊은 미군 장교시절, 나는 위에서 내려오는 지시와 명령을 따르라는 명을 받았었다. 확립된 규칙에 의해 통제되는 질서정연한 행동은 어떤 집단에서든 긍정적 결과를 낳는다. 기업 또한 직원이 회사를 존중하고 고객에게 적절한 서비스를 제공하는 지침을 따르도록 하는 최선의 관행을 수립해야 한다. 

As a young officer in the U.S. military, I was instructed to follow the orders and commands that came down from above. Orderly conduct governed by established rules produces positive results on the part of any group. Businesses must also establish best practices to ensure their employees follow guidelines that will honor their company and properly serve their clients. 

열렬한 골퍼로서, 나는 내가 몹시 좋아하는 게임의 규칙에 관한 목적을 인식하고 있다. 모든 조직화된 스포츠는 룰이 있으며 거기에는 이유가 있다. 만일 경계가 없으면 혼란에 빠지며, 선수들은 수단과 방법을 가리지 않고 원하는 대로 할 것이다. 적절하고 제대로 된 규칙이 없다면 그 결과는 경쟁적 무정부상태가 될 수밖에 없다. 

As an avid golfer, I realize the purpose of rules for the game I dearly love. All organized sports have rules for a reason – without boundaries there would be chaos; players would take advantage of whatever they wanted to do. Without adequate and proper rules, the result would be competitive anarchy.

나는 이것이 우리가 최근 몇 년 동안 봐온 일련의 문화적 격변의 문제점이라고 생각한다. 많은 사람들이 인생을 살아가면서 손쉽게 규칙을 만들고 자기 소견에 옳은 대로 행동한다. 사실상 이것이 바로 구약성경이 우리를 향해 말하는 바이다. 사사기 2장 10-11절에서 이를 찾아볼 수 있다. 

“그 세대의 사람도 다 그 조상들에게로 돌아갔고 그 후에 일어난 다른 세대는 여호와를 알지 못하며 여호와께서 이스라엘을 위하여 행하신 일도 알지 못하였더라 이스라엘 자손이 여호와의 목전에 악을 행하여 바알들을 섬기며”(사사기 2:10-11)

I believe this is the problem with all the cultural upheaval we have seen in recent years. Many people simply make up the rules as they go through life and do whatever they feel is right in their own eyes. In fact, this is what the Old Testament tells us. In Judges 2:10-11 we read “After the whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up who knew neither the Lord nor what he had done for Israel. Then the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord and served the Baals.”

이제부터는 다른 방향에서 접근할 것을 제안하고자 한다. 비난하기 보다는 오히려 내가 느끼는 이 영적 팬데믹에 대한 해독제를 제공하고자 한다. 예수 그리스도를 통해 하늘에 계신 아버지와 개인적인 관계를 맺은 우리는 우리 안에 사시는 성령님을 통해 예수 그리스도의 생명을 영적으로 누릴 수 있게 되었다. 우리는 주님께 우리의 심령을 성령으로 채워달라고, 그리고 하나님의 평강과 희망의 메시지가 주변 사람들의 마음에 스며들어 효과적으로 전달될 수 있는 조치에 분별력을 달라고 간구해야 할 것이다.

Now, let me suggest we approach this from a different direction. Rather than assessing blame, I would prefer to offer what I feel is the antidote to this growing spiritual pandemic. Those of us having a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ are able to appropriate His life spiritually, through the Holy Spirit who lives in us. We need to call on the Lord to fill us with His Spirit and give us the discernment needed for taking proper action to ensure that God’s message of peace and hope is communicated effectively, permeating the hearts of those around us.

하나님을 영화롭게 하는 반문화적 삶을 추구하자는 맥락에서 사도바울이 쓴 골로새서 3장 15-17절 말씀을 떠올리게 된다.

“그리스도의 평강이 너희 마음을 주장하게 하라 너희는 평강을 위하여 한 몸으로 부르심을 받았나니 너희는 또한 감사하는 자가 되라 그리스도의 말씀이 너희 속에 풍성히 거하여 모든 지혜로 피차 가르치며 권면하고 시와 찬송과 신령한 노래를 부르며 감사하는 마음으로 하나님을 찬양하고 또 무엇을 하든지 말에나 일에나 다 주 예수의 이름으로 하고 그를 힘입어 하나님 아버지께 감사하라”(골로새서 3:15-17)

Within this context of seeking to live a counter-cultural life that honors God, I think of the words written by the apostle Paul in Colossians 3:15-17: “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

우리는 주께서 주신 은혜 안에서 굳건한 지혜를 바탕으로 진실되고 옳다고 생각하는 것들을 굳게 붙들어야 할 것이다. 그런 다음 우리는 매일 일터에서 만나는 형제자매들을 포함하여 문화, 그리고 우리 민족의 치유와 회복을 위해 기도할 수 있다. 

We need to hold tightly to what we know is true and correct, with wisdom standing strong in the grace bestowed on us by our Lord. Then we can pray for healing and restoration of the culture and our people, including the men and women we encounter each day in the marketplace.

토론 및 적용 주제

Reflection/Discussion Questions

1. 최근 우리가 겪은 문화적 변화에 대해 어떻게 생각합니까? 과거에 당신이 따라온 믿음과 관행에 반하더라도 그러한 변화에 순응하고 있는 자신을 발견하게 되나요?

What are your thoughts about the cultural changes we have experienced in recent years? Do you find yourself conforming to those changes, even though they might be contrary to beliefs and practices you have followed in the past?

2. 변화하는 문화에 모순되는 가치를 지지하는 것은 왜 그렇게 어려울까요? 

Why do you think it is so difficult to stand up for values that contradict the changing culture? 

3. 로마서에서 사도바울이 했던 다음과 같은 말을 찾아볼 수 있습니다. “내가 복음을 부끄러워하지 아니하노니 이 복음은 모든 믿는 자에게 구원을 주시는 하나님의 능력이 됨이라…”(롬 1:16, 개정) 

끊임없이 변화하는 우리 주변의 문화에 이 말을 어떻게 적용할 수 있을까요?

In the book of Romans, we find this statement by the apostle Paul: “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for salvation of everyone who believes…. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith…. ‘The righteous will live by faith’” (Romans 1:16). How do you think we can apply that to how we deal with the ever-changing culture around us?

4. 당신이 알고 있는 예수 그리스도의 생애를 고려했을 때, 그분은 지상에서 살았던 문화에 대해 어떻게 도전하셨다고 봅니까? 그것이 우리에게 무엇을 가르쳐줍니까?

When you consider what you know about the life of Jesus Christ, how do you think He addressed challenges with the culture in which He lived on earth? What can that teach us? 

※ 참고: 성경에서 이 주제에 관련된 내용을 더 알고 싶다면, 아래 구절을 참고하세요.

NOTE: For more about what the Bible says, consider the following passages:

시편 139:23-24; 예레미야 31:33-34; 로마서 8:26-27; 에베소서 5:11-17; 골로새서 1:27-29

Psalm 139:23-24; Jeremiah 31:33-34; Romans 8:26-27; Ephesians 5:11-17; Colossians 1:27-29

하나님이여 나를 살피사 내 마음을 아시며 나를 시험하사 내 뜻을 아옵소서 내게 무슨 악한 행위가 있나 보시고 나를 영원한 길로 인도하소서(시편 139:23-24)

그러나 그 날 후에 내가 이스라엘 집과 맺을 언약은 이러하니 곧 내가 나의 법을 그들의 속에 두며 그들의 마음에 기록하여 나는 그들의 하나님이 되고 그들은 내 백성이 될 것이라 여호와의 말씀이니라 그들이 다시는 각기 이웃과 형제를 가리켜 이르기를 너는 여호와를 알라 하지 아니하리니 이는 작은 자로부터 큰 자까지 다 나를 알기 때문이라 내가 그들의 악행을 사하고 다시는 그 죄를 기억하지 아니하리라 여호와의 말씀이니라(예레미야 31:33-34)

이와 같이 성령도 우리의 연약함을 도우시나니 우리는 마땅히 기도할 바를 알지 못하나 오직 성령이 말할 수 없는 탄식으로 우리를 위하여 친히 간구하시느니라 마음을 살피시는 이가 성령의 생각을 아시나니 이는 성령이 하나님의 뜻대로 성도를 위하여 간구하심이니라(로마서 8:26-27)

너희는 열매 없는 어둠의 일에 참여하지 말고 도리어 책망하라 그들이 은밀히 행하는 것들은 말하기도 부끄러운 것들이라 그러나 책망을 받는 모든 것은 빛으로 말미암아 드러나나니 드러나는 것마다 빛이니라 그러므로 이르시기를 잠자는 자여 깨어서 죽은 자들 가운데서 일어나라 그리스도께서 너에게 비추이시리라 하셨느니라 그런즉 너희가 어떻게 행할지를 자세히 주의하여 지혜 없는 자 같이 하지 말고 오직 지혜 있는 자 같이 하여 세월을 아끼라 때가 악하니라 그러므로 어리석은 자가 되지 말고 오직 주의 뜻이 무엇인가 이해하라(에베소서 5:11-17)

하나님이 그들로 하여금 이 비밀의 영광이 이방인 가운데 얼마나 풍성한지를 알게 하려 하심이라 이 비밀은 너희 안에 계신 그리스도시니 곧 영광의 소망이니라 우리가 그를 전파하여 각 사람을 권하고 모든 지혜로 각 사람을 가르침은 각 사람을 그리스도 안에서 완전한 자로 세우려 함이니 이를 위하여 나도 내 속에서 능력으로 역사하시는 이의 역사를 따라 힘을 다하여 수고하노라(골로새서 1:27-29)

※ 출처: CBMC INTERNATIONAL  /  번역: 한국기독실업인회www.cbmc.or.kr