월요만나
[월요만나] 6월 14일자_적응력, 변화에 대처하는 도구

본문

MONDAY MANNA

June 14, 2021

적응력, 변화에 대처하는 도구

ADAPTABILITY, A TOOL FOR FACING CHANGES

By Sergio Fortes

비즈니스 세계에서 종사하고 있는 우리들에게 변화란 전혀 새로운 것이 아니다. 좋든 싫든 변화는 우리에게 늘상 일어나는 익숙한 경험이다. 

For each of us who labor on the marketplace, change is nothing new. Whether we like it or not, change is a familiar experience, one that happens all the time.

일부 실업인과 전문인, 심지어 고위직 리더와 임원들조차도 마치 변화 그 자체가 이를 좋아하는 사람인지 싫어하는 사람인지를 결정하고 나아가 변화를 시행하기 전에 우아하게 허락을 묻는 힘을 가지고 있기나 한 듯이 “저는 그 어떤 변화도 좋아하지 않습니다!”라고 절대적인 확신을 가지고 선언한다.

Some business and professional people, even high-level leaders and executives, declare with absolute conviction, "I hate any kind of change!”, as if change itself has the capability for determining who likes it or who does not, and then graciously asking for permission before settling in.

나의 조국 브라질에서 가장 각광받는 어느 한 라디오 방송국에서는 우리로 하여금 생각하게 하는 좋은 슬로건을 사용하고 있다. 바로 “20분이면, 모든 것이 바뀔 수 있습니다.”라는 슬로건이다. 그러나 아무리 급격한 변화일지라도 대부분의 변화는 20분이 채 되기도 전에 갑작스럽게 이루어진다. 

One of the most respected radio stations in my country of Brazil uses an appropriate slogan that forces us to think: "In 20 minutes, everything can change.” However, in many cases, changes – even very drastic ones – can suddenly occur in much less than 20 minutes. 

약 18개월 전, 코로나19의 첫 번째 사례가 전 세계를 뒤흔들었던 사건을 그 누가 잊을 수 있겠는가?  한 달도 채 되지 않아 우리의 사생활과 직업 생활은 발칵 뒤집혔다. 확산되는 전염병에 맞서기 위해 필요한 사회적 변화들을 법률로 제정하기까지는 아무도 우리에게 승인을 요청하지 않았다. 

Who can forget that approximately 18 months ago, the first cases of the Covid-19 virus shook the entire world? Less than a month later, our private and professional lives were turned upside down. No one asked for our approval before necessary social changes were enacted in response to the growing pandemic.

극적이든 사소한 불편이든, 변화가 발생하면 이에 어떻게 대응해야 할까? 하버드 교수인 다니엘 골먼 박사에 따르면, 개인 또는 직업 생활에서의 변화에 대처하기 위한 올바른 정서적 반응을 적응력이라고 말한다. 어느 저명한 연구원은 이것이 가장 중요한 /감성지능 스킬 중 하나라고 언급한 바 있다. 

When change occurs, whether it is dramatic or a minor inconvenience, how are we to respond? The correct emotional reaction in dealing with changes in our personal or professional lives, according to Harvard professor Dr. Daniel Goleman, is called ADAPTABILITY. This is one of the most important emotional intelligence skills, the acclaimed researcher has stated.

적응력이란, 변화와 새로운 상황, 또는 예상치 못한 사건에 적응하는 능력이라고 골먼은 말하고 있다. 예측 불가능하지만 이는 일상적인 삶의 현실이며, 특히 실업인과 전문인 세계에서는 더더욱 그러하다. 그러나 단순히 적응을 넘어서, 변화의 부정적 영향력을 극복하는 법을 배우는 것이 중요하다. 그런 다음 우리는 예상치 못했거나 바라지 않았던 변화에 대처하는 긍정적 접근 방식을 통해 새로운 기회를 발견할 수 있게 된다. 

Adaptability, Goleman said, is the ability to adjust to changes, new situations, or unforeseen events.  Although not predictable, these are routine realities of life, especially in the business and professional world. But more than simply adjusting, it is important that we learn to overcome the adverse impacts of change. Then, through a positive approach for dealing with changes we might not have foreseen or desired, we can discover new opportunities.

나는 어떤 것이 통제 불능처럼 보일 때, 이를 통제할 수 있는 분께 집중하는 것이 현명하다는 사실을 발견했다. 하나님께서 예레미야 29장 11절을 통해 말씀하신 것처럼 말이다. 

“여호와의 말씀이니라 너희를 향한 나의 생각을 내가 아나니 평안이요 재앙이 아니니라 너희에게 미래와 희망을 주는 것이니라”(예레미야 29:11)

잠언 3절 5-6절에서도 그와 비슷한 약속을 찾아볼 수 있는데, 이는 우리에게 다음과 같이 이야기하고 있다. 

“너는 마음을 다하여 여호와를 신뢰하고 네 명철을 의지하지 말라 너는 범사에 그를 인정하라 그리하면 네 길을 지도하시리라”(잠언 3:5-6)

I have found that when things seem out of control, it is wise to focus on the One who is in control. As God declares in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” We find similar assurance in Proverbs 3:5-6, which tells us to, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.”

성경말씀 속에서 우리는 늘 직업과 개인적 삶의 환경에 변화가 있었던 바울의 훌륭한 예시를 발견하게 된다. 예배당에 나타나면 그는 쫓겨나야 했으며, 배에 타면 가라앉을 위험이 뒤따랐다. 사람들을 모아 자신의 삶이 어떻게 변했는지 증거하면 그는 체포되었다. 한번은, 난파선에서 살아남자 그는 뱀에게 물리고 말았다. 

In the Scriptures we find the wonderful example of the apostle Paul, whose professional and personal life circumstances changed all the time. If he walked to a place of worship, he was thrown out. If he got onto a ship, it threatened to sink. If he gathered people and gave testimony to how his life had been changed, he was arrested. One time, when he managed to survive a shipwreck, he was bitten by a snake.

바울은 자신이 마치 폐인이나 실패자가 된 것으로 느끼며 원통해 하고, 불평할 수도 있었다. 그러나 그는 변화를 다루는 우리의 방식을 부끄럽게 만드는 놀라운 고백을 했다. 

“내가 궁핍하므로 말하는 것이 아니니라 어떠한 형편에든지 나는 자족하기를 배웠노니 나는 비천에 처할 줄도 알고 풍부에 처할 줄도 알아 모든 일 곧 배부름과 배고픔과 풍부와 궁핍에도 처할 줄 아는 일체의 비결을 배웠노라 내게 능력 주시는 자 안에서 내가 모든 것을 할 수 있느니라”(빌립보서 4:11-13)

Paul could have become embittered, complaining all the time, feeling like a loser or a failure. However, he made an extraordinary statement that puts us to shame for the way we handle our changes: “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:11-13). 

그 승리의 고백은 내게 변화에 관한 세 가지를 가르쳐주었다. 

1. 어떤 상황에서도 적응할 수 있는 법을 배워야 한다. 

2. 그 어떤 변화일지라도 나의 만족감을 앗아가는 것은 허용할 수 없다. 

3. 예수 그리스도라는 변하지 않는 기초 위에 서서 믿음으로 살아가야 한다. 

That victorious statement teaches me three things about change:  

1. I must learn to adapt to any circumstances.

2. I cannot allow any change to steal my contentment.

3. I must stand and live by faith on the one foundation that never changes: Jesus Christ.

토론 및 적용 주제

Reflection/Discussion Questions

1. 변화에 보통 어떻게 반응합니까? 특히, 전혀 예상치 못했거나 당신이 선택하지 않은 변화들에 대해서는 어떠한가요?

What is your typical response to changes, especially ones that come totally unexpected and are not of your choosing?

2. 코로나19 대유행과 그로 인한 많은 변화들은 당신의 업무와 일상 생활에 어떤 방식으로 영향력을 미쳤습니까? 이러한 변화에 어떻게 대응했나요?

In what specific ways did the Covid-19 pandemic and the many changes that resulted from it affect you, your work and everyday life? How did you respond to those changes?

3. 불확실하고 불안한 이 시기에 당신은 어디를 향하고 있습니까? 주변 세상이 뒤집히는 것 같을지라도 당신은 사도바울처럼 만족과 평안을 찾을 수 있나요? 의견을 나눠봅시다.

In times of uncertainty and anxiety, where do you turn? Do you, like the apostle Paul, find you are able to find contentment and peace, even when the world around you seems to be turning upside-down? Explain your answer.

4. 성경은 상황이 어렵고 불가능해 보일지라도 하나님을 신뢰하라는 의미로, 하나님의 수많은 약속들을 우리에게 보여주고 있습니다. 특별히 당신에게 평안을 주는 구절이 있다면 무엇입니까? 

The Bible offers many promises from God that tell us to trust Him even when circumstances are difficult, even seemingly impossible. What passages, if any, have you found that seem especially reassuring for you?

※ 참고: 성경에서 이 주제에 관련된 내용을 더 알고 싶다면, 아래 구절을 참고하세요.

NOTE: If you have a Bible and would like to read more, consider the following passages:

이사야 26:3, 40:31, 41:10; 시편 37:4-5, 40:1-3; 마태복음 28:20; 히브리서 13:5

Isaiah 26:3, 40:31, 41:10; Psalm 37:4-5, 40:1-3; Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5

주께서 심지가 견고한 자를 평강하고 평강하도록 지키시리니 이는 그가 주를 신뢰함이니이다(이사야 26:3)

오직 여호와를 앙망하는 자는 새 힘을 얻으리니 독수리가 날개치며 올라감 같을 것이요 달음박질하여도 곤비하지 아니하겠고 걸어가도 피곤하지 아니하리로다(이사야 40:31)

두려워하지 말라 내가 너와 함께 함이라 놀라지 말라 나는 네 하나님이 됨이라 내가 너를 굳세게 하리라 참으로 너를 도와 주리라 참으로 나의 의로운 오른손으로 너를 붙들리라(이사야 41:10)

또 여호와를 기뻐하라 그가 네 마음의 소원을 네게 이루어 주시리로다 네 길을 여호와께 맡기라 그를 의지하면 그가 이루시고(시편 37:4-5)

[다윗의 시, 인도자를 따라 부르는 노래] 내가 여호와를 기다리고 기다렸더니 귀를 기울이사 나의 부르짖음을 들으셨도다 나를 기가 막힐 웅덩이와 수렁에서 끌어올리시고 내 발을 반석 위에 두사 내 걸음을 견고하게 하셨도다 새 노래 곧 우리 하나님께 올릴 찬송을 내 입에 두셨으니 많은 사람이 보고 두려워하여 여호와를 의지하리로다(시편 40:1-3)

내가 너희에게 분부한 모든 것을 가르쳐 지키게 하라 볼지어다 내가 세상 끝날까지 너희와 항상 함께 있으리라 하시니라(마태복음 28:20)

돈을 사랑하지 말고 있는 바를 족한 줄로 알라 그가 친히 말씀하시기를 내가 결코 너희를 버리지 아니하고 너희를 떠나지 아니하리라 하셨느니라(히브리서 13:5)

※ 출처: CBMC INTERNATIONAL  /  번역: 한국기독실업인회www.cbmc.or.kr