월요만나

월요만나
[월요만나] 2월 8일자_시간과 경험으로부터 나온 시각

본문

시간과 경험으로부터 나온 시각

PERSPECTIVES FROM TIME AND EXPERIENCE

By Jim Mathis

몇 달 전 내 72번째 생일을 기념하면서 나는 잠시 멈춰 생각하게 되었다. 나는 지구가 태양 주위를 72바퀴 도는 것을 본 적이 있다. 72년 전에는 카메라의 어느 끝을 봐야 할지, 기타를 어떻게 잡는지, 자전거를 어떻게 타는지, 심지어는 밥 먹는 법도 잘 몰랐다. 태어났을 당시에 나는 걷지도 말을 하지도 못했다. 이 모든 기술들은 오랜 기간의 노력 끝에 얻은 것들이다. 

Observing my 72nd birthday several months ago caused me to pause for some reflection: I have seen the earth make 72 laps around the sun. Seventy-two years ago, I did not know which end of a camera to look through, how to hold a guitar, how to ride a bike, or even how to feed myself. When I was born, I could not even walk or talk. All of those skills I have acquired with much effort over the years. 

하지만 그 과정은 아직 끝나지 않았다. 72년 전에는 숟가락조차 들지 못했지만, 나는 여전히 영양학을 공부하고 있고, 새로운 음식과 요리법을 발견해 가고 있다. 550마일을 달려갈 마음을 먹기 전에, 나는 보도 끝까지 자전거를 타는 법부터 배워야 했다. 인생은 배움과 성장의 연속이다. 

But the process is unending. I could not hold a spoon 72 years ago, yet I am still learning about nutrition and discovering new foods and cuisine. I had to learn to ride my bicycle to the end of the sidewalk before I could consider going on a 550-mile ride. Life is about learning and growing.

지난 70년에 걸쳐 전세계에 일어난 변화에 관한 많은 글들이 쓰여왔다. 기술은 우리가 만질 수 있는 거의 모든 것을 변화시켰다. 하지만 그러한 변화에 연연하기 보다, 변하지 않은 몇 가지 중요한 것들에 대해 곰곰이 생각해보았다. 다음은 나의 몇 가지 견해이다. 

Much has been written about the changes that have taken place in our world over the past seven decades. Technology has changed virtually everything we can touch. Instead of dwelling on the changes, however, I pondered some important things that have not changed. Here are some of my observations:

진실성은 여전히 중요하다.

인간이 서로 상호작용하기 시작한 뒤로부터 정직하고 공정한 거래는 수천 년 동안 사회의 기반이 되어왔다. 잠언 10장 9절을 통해 알 수 있듯이 말이다. 

“바른 길로 행하는 자는 걸음이 평안하려니와 굽은 길로 행하는 자는 드러나리라”(잠언 10:9)

Integrity still counts. Being honest and fair in our dealings has been the bedrock of society for thousands of years, ever since humans began interacting with each. As Proverbs 10:9 observes, “The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.”

우리는 공동체를 이루며 살아가는 존재이다. 

우리는 서로를 위해 만들어졌다. 자신을 고립시키거나 벽을 쌓으려고 하면 끝은 늘 불행해진다. 이는 개인과 조직, 국가에 모두 적용된다. 우리는 모두 다른 경험과 기술, 성격을 가지고 있다. 사회의 번영과 살기 좋은 세상을 만들기 위해 우리는 모두 함께 일하며, 자신이 가진 은사를 나누어야 한다. 

“두 사람이 한 사람보다 나음은 그들이 수고함으로 좋은 상을 얻을 것임이라…세 겹 줄은 쉽게 끊어지지 아니하느니라”(전도서 4:9-12)

We are community creatures. We were made for each other. Attempts to isolate ourselves or build walls always end in disaster. This applies to individuals, organizations, and nations. We all have different experiences, skills, and personalities. We all need to work together, bringing our own gifts to the table, to have a thriving society and a decent world to live in. “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work…. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12).

되고 싶은 모든 것이 될 수는 없지만, 우리가 생각하는 것 그 이상의 것이 될 수는 있다. 

20년 전, 나는 유명한 음악 선생인 제프 뉴맨과 시간을 보낸 적이 있다. 그는 내게 결코 잊을 수 없는 말을 남겼다. 

“재능이란 일하기 싫어하는 사람이 일을 하고 있는 것을 설명할 때 쓰는 말이예요.”

이를 성경에서는 다음과 같이 말하고 있다.

“모든 수고에는 이익이 있어도 입술의 말은 궁핍을 이룰 뿐이니라”(잠언 14:23)

We cannot be everything we want to be, but we can be more than we think we can. Twenty years ago, I spent time with famed music teacher, Jeff Newman. He said something I have never forgotten: “Talent is the word used by people who don’t want to work to describe those that do.” The Scriptures state it this way: “All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty” (Proverbs 14:23).

우리가 누구인지를 결정하는 것:

우리가 누구인지는 어떤 친구를 만나는지, 어떤 책을 읽는지, 즐겨 듣는 음악과 보는TV프로그램은 무엇인지에 따라 결정된다. 우리가 태어난 곳도, 타고난 능력도 아니다. 이는 우리가 자기 자신의 마음을 어떻게 다듬어가는지에 관한 것이다. 

“끝으로 형제들아 무엇에든지 참되며 무엇에든지 경건하며 무엇에든지 옳으며 무엇에든지 정결하며 무엇에든지 사랑 받을 만하며 무엇에든지 칭찬 받을 만하며 무슨 덕이 있든지 무슨 기림이 있든지 이것들을 생각하라”(빌립보서 4:8)

Who we are is determined by: who our friends are, the books we read, the music we listen to, and the TV shows we watch. It is not where we were born, or even innate abilities. It is about how we shape our minds. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).

맨 뒤에서 출발할지라도 멋진 경주를 펼칠 수 있다. 

우리가 가진 피부색과 학교 수준, 부모의 성격 등이 인생의 경주의 출발선을 정해줄 수는 있지만, 충분히 오래 달릴 수 있고 좋은 코칭만 주어진다면 최종결과에는 그다지 영향을 미치지 않는다. 자동차 경주는 선두가 늘 시작의 가장 좋은 위치가 아니라는 것을 보여준다.

“부지런한 자의 경영은 풍부함에 이를 것이나 조급한 자는 궁핍함에 이를 따름이니라”(잠 21:5)

We can run a good race even starting at the back of the pack. The color of our skin, the quality of our schools, and the character of our parents may determine how we start in the race of life, but in a long enough race and with good coaching, those things do not matter much in the final outcome. Auto racing shows us the pole position may not always be the best place to start. “The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty” (Proverbs 21:5).

하나님께서는 우리가 그분의 아름다운 세계를 가능한 많이 보기 원하신다. 

여행과 다른 문화를 경험하는 것은 편견과 고집, 무지와 편협한 사고를 깨뜨리는 일이라는 것을 나는 깨닫게 되었다. 다른 이들의 눈으로 세상을 바라보는 것은 엄청난 차이를 불러온다. 성경은 우리에게 다음과 같은 훌륭한 조언을 제공한다. 

“아무 일에든지 다툼이나 허영으로 하지 말고 오직 겸손한 마음으로 각각 자기보다 남을 낫게 여기고 각각 자기 일을 돌볼뿐더러 또한 각각 다른 사람들의 일을 돌보아 나의 기쁨을 충만하게 하라”(빌립보서 2:3-4) 

God wants us to see as much of His beautiful world as we can. Travel and experiencing other cultures, I have learned, is the one thing that breaks down prejudices, bigotry, ignorance, and small thinking. Seeing the world through the eyes of others makes a tremendous difference. The Bible gives this excellent advice: “Do nothing from selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Philippians 2:3-4).

토론 및 적용 주제

Reflection/Discussion Questions

1. 현재의 나이와 상관없이 인생은 우리에게 중요하고도 보편적인 진리를 가르쳐줍니다. 인생을 통해 이미 배운 교훈에는 어떤 것이 있나요?

Regardless of how old we are, life can teach us important, even universal truths. What are some of the enduring lessons you have already learned in life?

2. 글쓴이가 언급한 걷기, 먹기, 자전거 타기처럼 어릴 적 인생에서 배워야만 했던 기술 중에서 나중에 당신이 하고 싶었던 일을 할 수 있게 도와줬던 기술은 무엇입니까?

What are skills you had to learn early in life – such as the simple things of walking, eating, and bicycle riding that Mr. Mathis cites – that have enabled you to do things you wanted to do later in life?

3. 주변에서 일어나는 수많은 기술적, 사회적 변화를 보고 경험하지만, 그럼에도 불구하고 절대 변하지 않는 것처럼 느껴지는 것이 있는데, 왜 그런걸까요? ‘인간 생활’에 있어서 변하지 않는 측면이 존재한다고 생각하나요? 이야기해봅시다.

Why is it, despite the many technological and social changes we see and experience around us, that some things never seem to change? Do you think there are some aspects of the “human condition” that are unchangeable or immutable? Explain your answer. 

4.   이번 ‘월요만나’에서 저자는 자신의 견해를 확증하는 성경구절을 포함시켰습니까? 일생동안 당신에게 특별히 영향을 미친 성경 구절을 떠올려 볼 수 있나요?

In this “Monday Manna,” Mr. Mathis includes some Bible passages that affirm his observations? Can you think of any Scripture passages that have become especially significant for you over your lifetime?

※ 참고: 성경에서 이 주제에 관련된 내용을 더 알고 싶다면, 아래 구절을 참고하세요.

NOTE: If you have a Bible and would like to read more, consider the following passages:

잠언 11:3, 13:6; 전도서 9:10; 에베소서 4:29; 히브리서 10:24-25, 13:8

Proverbs 11:3, 13:6; Ecclesiastes 9:10; Ephesians 4:29; Hebrews 10:24-25, 13:8

정직한 자의 성실은 자기를 인도하거니와 사악한 자의 패역은 자기를 망하게 하느니라(잠언 11:3)

공의는 행실이 정직한 자를 보호하고 악은 죄인을 패망하게 하느니라(잠언 13:6)

네 손이 일을 얻는 대로 힘을 다하여 할지어다 네가 장차 들어갈 스올에는 일도 없고 계획도 없고 지식도 없고 지혜도 없음이니라(전도서 9:10)

무릇 더러운 말은 너희 입 밖에도 내지 말고 오직 덕을 세우는 데 소용되는 대로 선한 말을 하여 듣는 자들에게 은혜를 끼치게 하라(에베소서 4:29)

서로 돌아보아 사랑과 선행을 격려하며 모이기를 폐하는 어떤 사람들의 습관과 같이 하지 말고 오직 권하여 그 날이 가까움을 볼수록 더욱 그리하자(히브리서 10:24-25)

예수 그리스도는 어제나 오늘이나 영원토록 동일하시니라(히브리서 13:8)

※ 출처: CBMC INTERNATIONAL  /  번역: 한국기독실업인회www.cbmc.or.kr