월요만나

월요만나
[월요만나] 1월 25일자_‘커튼 뒤’에서 벌어지는 실망스러운 일 극복하기

본문

‘커튼 뒤’에서 벌어지는 실망스러운 일 극복하기

OVERCOMING WHAT GOES ON ‘BEHIND THE CURTAIN’

By Ken Korkow

수년 전, 육류 포장 시설을 견학한 적이 있었다. 핫도그가 어떻게 만들어지는지를 처음으로 보고 난 뒤, 1년이 더 지나서야 나는 그것을 다시 먹을 수 있었다. 우리가 매우 익숙해하는 것들 뒤에서 실제로 무슨 일이 일어나는지 알고 난 뒤의 반응을 보는 것은 흥미로운 일이다. 

Many years ago I toured a meat packing facility. After seeing for the first time how hotdogs were made, it was more than a year before I could eat another one. It is interesting to learn what really goes on behind the scenes with things we are very familiar with, and then see how we react.

군 복무를 마치고, 교회와 선교단체 리더십에 활발하게 참여하며, 다양한 지역사회 전문 기관에서 활동하면서, 고전 영화 “오즈의 마법사”의 상징적인 장면을 빌려서 ‘커튼 뒤’에서 벌어지는 일들을 직접 관찰할 기회가 주어졌다. 말 그대로, 혹은 비유적 표현으로 커튼이 내려지면 쉽게 냉소적 또는 반어적으로 변하거나, 심지어는 거리를 두면서 우리가 본 것으로부터 자신을 분리시키려 하기가 쉽다.

Having served in the military, been actively involved in church and parachurch leadership, and participating in a variety of community and professional organizations, I have had the “opportunity” to observe firsthand what goes on “behind the curtain,” to borrow from the iconic scene in the classic film, “The Wizard of Oz.” Once the curtain is pulled back, literally or figuratively, it is easy to become cynical, sarcastic, or even distant, trying to disassociate ourselves with what we have seen.

이 모든 조직의 공통점은 무엇인가? 은유적인 커튼 뒤에서 벌어지는 일들은 결점투성이의 불완전한 사람들에 의해 연출된다. 그들은 조직원들과 조직의 사명에 대한 우리의 신뢰와 헌신의 의욕을 꺾어버리고, 환상을 깨뜨릴 수 있는 자들이다. 그런데도 나는 왜 계속 그들과 관계 맺고 있는 것일까? 그들의 불완전함과 단점에도 불구하고 나는 왜 수많은 단체에 속해 있는가? 

What do all those organizations have in common? Behind the metaphorical curtain, they are all directed by people – imperfect, often terribly flawed people. People who can discourage, disillusion, even betray our trust and commitment to them and the organization’s mission. Why then do I remain engaged? Why do I continue to be so involved with many entities, despite their imperfections and shortcomings?

내 대답은 간단하다. 정말 중요한 것은 ‘커튼’ 뒤에서 있었다. 우리를 짜증 나게 하고 좌절하게 만드는 것은 현재의 무엇이 아니다. 바로 영원한 것이다.

My answer is a very simple one. I have been able to see behind the one “curtain” that really counts. Not the present things that can annoy and frustrate us. But the one that matters for all of eternity.

특히 성경의 한 구절이 이러한 영원의 관점에 대해 이야기하고 있어 나의 관심을 끌었다. 

“우리가 이 소망을 가지고 있는 것은 영혼의 닻 같아서 튼튼하고 견고하여 휘장 안에 들어 가나니 그리로 앞서 가신 예수께서 멜기세덱의 반차를 따라 영원히 대제사장이 되어 우리를 위하여 들어 가셨느니라”(히브리서 6:19-20)

이 구절은 나로 하여금 일상생활과 일하는 과정에서 필연적으로 마주하게 되는 부정적인 것들에 연연하기보다, 흥미진진하며 유망한 미래를 지속적으로 바라볼 것을 상기시켜준다. 

One verse from the Bible in particular speaks to this eternal perspective and has captured my attention: “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain,  where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever ....” (Hebrews 6:19-20). This reminds me to keep looking ahead to an exciting, promised future rather than dwelling on the negatives we inevitably encounter over the course of everyday life and work.

당신은 어떤가? 현재 일하고 있는 곳이 정부기관이든, 일터이든, 공동체나 신앙에 기반을 둔 조직이든 간에 그곳에서 벌어지는 ‘정치판’에 신물이 나는가? 어떻게 하면 매일같이 ‘커튼 뒤’에서 일어나는 부정적인 태도와 행동에 휘둘리지 않을 수 있을까? 나는 그것이 하나님의 말씀을 읽고, 계속해서 묵상하며, 그분의 온전하고도 완전한 주권적 통치에 계속해서 집중해야만 가능하다는 사실을 깨닫게 되었다. “내 원대로 마시옵고 아버지의 원대로 되기를 원하나이다”라고 누가복음 22장 42절에서 예수 그리스도가 기도하신 것을 보며 나 또한 주 앞에 굴복할 수 있게 된 것이다. 

What about you? Are you tired of “politics,” whether it is in government, where you work, or in community or faith-based organizations you are a part of? How do we keep from getting caught up in the downsides of the behind-the-curtain behaviors and actions we see every day? I have found this happens only when I read, meditate on and marinate in the Word of God, and keep my focus on His complete and perfect sovereign control. Then I can surrender to “not my will, but Yours be done,” as Jesus Himself prayed in Luke 22:42. 

자신이 처한 상황과 상관없이 하나님께서 모든 것을 아시고 늘 옳다는 사실을 신뢰함으로, 우리가 할 일은 그저 하나님의 영이 지시하는 그 다음 일을 행하는 것이다. 그 사실을 잊어버리거나 거부할 때, 순간 우리는 순식간에 수렁으로 빠지게 된다. 문제와 걱정, 두려움에 사로잡혀버리는 것이다. 

Trusting that God knows best and will always do what is right, regardless of the circumstances I find myself in, my job simply becomes one of doing the next-one-thing that His Spirit prompts. When I forget, or refuse to do that, that is when I end up in the ditch very quickly. Overwhelmed by problems, concerns and fear.

우리는 성경을 통해 이 일을 하도록 격려하는 수많은 구절을 발견할 수 있다. 그중 몇 가지를 소개한다. 

We find many passages in the Scriptures to encourage us to do this. Here are a few of them:

올바른 방향을 바라보라. “위의 것을 생각하고 땅의 것을 생각하지 말라”(골로새서 3:2)

Look in the right direction. “Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth” (Colossians 3:2).

본받을 만한 올바른 모델을 선택하라. “너희는 이 세대를 본받지 말고 오직 마음을 새롭게 함으로 변화를 받아 하나님의 선하시고 기뻐하시고 온전하신 뜻이 무엇인지 분별하도록 하라”(로마서 12:2)

Choose the right model to follow. “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will” (Romans 12:2).

올바른 생각을 추구하라. “끝으로 형제들아 무엇에든지 참되며 무엇에든지 경건하며 무엇에든지 옳으며 무엇에든지 정결하며 무엇에든지 사랑 받을 만하며 무엇에든지 칭찬 받을 만하며 무슨 덕이 있든지 무슨 기림이 있든지 이것들을 생각하라”(빌립보서 4:8)

Pursue right thinking. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).

묵상 및 토론 주제

Reflection/Discussion Questions

1. ‘커튼 뒤’에 가려진 것을 볼 기회가 있었는데, 그것이 마음에 들지 않았던 경험이 있나요? 그것이 무엇이었는지, 그리고 그것을 본 당신의 반응은 어땠는지 이야기해봅시다.

Have you ever had an opportunity to take a look “behind the curtain,” and did not like what you saw? Describe what that was like – and how you reacted.

2. 누군가 당신의 ‘커튼’ 뒤를 엿보았다가 상처받거나 실망했던 적이 있습니까? 괜찮다면, 그때의 상황과 기분이 어땠는지 나눠주세요.

Can you think of a time when someone might have gotten a glimpse behind your own “curtain” and was hurt or disappointed? If you care to, explain what that situation was. How did you feel at that moment?

3. 일시적인 것에 불과한 현재 상황에 대한 걱정과 좌절감에 생각과 행동을 빼앗기는 것이 아닌, 영원한 것에 계속해서 초점을 맞춘다는 것은 무엇을 의미할까요? 

What does it mean to have and maintain an eternal perspective, rather than having our thoughts and actions governed by worries and frustrations about things in the present that are only temporary?

4. 특히 부정적이고 낙심에 빠져 있는 우리 자신을 발견할 때, 어떻게 그러한 긍정적이고 낙관적인 태도를 유지할 수 있을까요? 그러한 것에 초점을 유지하기 위해 특별히 하거나 할 수 있는 일이 있을까요? 

How can a person keep such a positive, optimistic attitude – especially if we find ourselves immersed in a sea of negativity and discouragement? Are there any specific things you do – or could do – to keep such a focus? Explain your answer.

※ 참고: 성경에서 이 주제에 관련된 내용을 더 알고 싶다면, 아래 구절을 참고하세요.

NOTE: If you have a Bible and would like to read more, consider the following passages:

시편 145:17-20; 고린도후서 5:17; 로마서 6:4,11-13; 갈라디아서 2:20; 에베소서 4:22-24

Psalm 145:17-20; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Romans 6:4,11-13; Galatians 2:20; Ephesians 4:22-24

* 여호와께서는 그 모든 행위에 의로우시며 그 모든 일에 은혜로우시도다 여호와께서는 자기에게 간구하는 모든 자 곧 진실하게 간구하는 모든 자에게 가까이 하시는도다 그는 자기를 경외하는 자들의 소원을 이루시며 또 그들의 부르짖음을 들으사 구원하시리로다 여호와께서 자기를 사랑하는 자들은 다 보호하시고 악인들은 다 멸하시리로다(시편 145:17-20)

* 그런즉 누구든지 그리스도 안에 있으면 새로운 피조물이라 이전 것은 지나갔으니 보라 새 것이 되었도다(고린도후서 5:17)

* 그러므로 우리가 그의 죽으심과 합하여 침례를 받음으로 그와 함께 장사되었나니 이는 아버지의 영광으로 말미암아 그리스도를 죽은 자 가운데서 살리심과 같이 우리로 또한 새 생명 가운데서 행하게 하려 함이라(로마서 6:4)

* 이와 같이 너희도 너희 자신을 죄에 대하여는 죽은 자요 그리스도 예수 안에서 하나님께 대하여는 살아 있는 자로 여길지어다 그러므로 너희는 죄가 너희 죽을 몸을 지배하지 못하게 하여 몸의 사욕에 순종하지 말고 또한 너희 지체를 불의의 무기로 죄에게 내주지 말고 오직 너희 자신을 죽은 자 가운데서 다시 살아난 자 같이 하나님께 드리며 너희 지체를 의의 무기로 하나님께 드리라(로마서 6:11-13)

* 내가 그리스도와 함께 십자가에 못 박혔나니 그런즉 이제는 내가 사는 것이 아니요 오직 내 안에 그리스도께서 사시는 것이라 이제 내가 육체 가운데 사는 것은 나를 사랑하사 나를 위하여 자기 자신을 버리신 하나님의 아들을 믿는 믿음 안에서 사는 것이라(갈라디아서 2:20)

* 너희는 유혹의 욕심을 따라 썩어져 가는 구습을 따르는 옛 사람을 벗어 버리고 오직 너희의 심령이 새롭게 되어 하나님을 따라 의와 진리의 거룩함으로 지으심을 받은 새 사람을 입으라(에베소서 4:22-24)

※ 출처: CBMC INTERNATIONAL  /  번역: 한국기독실업인회www.cbmc.or.kr